Monday, February 13, 2012

2 Jobs, A Hubby & 1 Crazy boy!


I normally use this blog to document our life, because, we are so busy that I don't have time for the fancy schmancy scrapbooks, but I can find time in my busy days to crank out a blog post here & there.

Today, I am linking up with another blog and sharing my take on being a mom who also works outside the home.

I work in a church office with a membership of over 1,000 people. It is CUH-RAZY busy around the office because we have a TON of different ministries. I do all the internal communication for every single ministry & every single person who needs anything communicated to the rest of the congregation as well as any external advertising or promotion to the community. So, while it is not a hugely stressful environment, it is very busy and very rewarding, as I get to use my PR Degree in a Christian environment. I also do photography on the side...which has become like another FT job. I've scaled back tremendously with how many sessions I do per month and that has helped my sanity. Sometimes, you have to learn to cut some things out. My "day" job does allow some flexibility, and I get off early 2 days a week to spend time with this little cutie:

This is Owen. He's 2!
So my day usually goes like this:
4:30am- Wake Up
5-6am- Boot Camp (only time of day I have to work out)
6-7am- Get me ready & tidy the house as it is on the market in case it shows today
7-7:30am- Get Owen up & ready
7:30- Leave the house & drop Owen off @ daycare
8am- Arrive at work (well...maybe I should say 8:05 or 8:10...if we're being honest..) Ha!

Then I work until 5 on Mondays & Wednesdays...those days:
5-5:30- Head home & pick up Owen
5:30- start cooking dinner if the hubby hasn't already started
6-7: Eat & clean up dinner
7-7:45: Play with Owen
7:45- Bath & Bed Time Routine Starts
8:15- Story, Bed time prayers, Night Night, Owen!
8:20-8:35- The hubby & I try to watch some TV together & snuggle a bit on the couch and Owen walks into the living room several times not wanting to go to sleep
8:40- Owen finally goes to sleep in his bed
8:40-10:00- couch time with the hubby, he plays on iPad, I play on iMac or iPhone
10:00- bedtime for mom & dad!
12 am- Owen comes in our room to get in our bed, I get up with him & take him back to his room
1 am- Owen comes in our room to get in our bed, I elbow Matt and say "Your turn." Matt walks him back to his room :)
4:30 am- REPEAT. :)

On Tuesdays & Thursdays, I get off work at 2:15 and usually spend the afternoon at the park with Owen & some of my stay at home mommy friends & their kiddos. So its nice to have that flexibility a couple days a week to get to just go home & play.

Now, take that schedule & throw in all the other things that pop up, like meetings with our builder, meetings with our realtor, obligatory dinners with people, etc...pack on a social life, an active church life and the week gets consumed. It is hectic working and having a family, but I am blessed to be able to help our family financially and take that stressor out of our marriage. I love that I can help us easily afford vacations, contribute to our savings account & allow us to NOT live paycheck to paycheck. I do not feel that I am missing anything with Owen because when I get home, our house is in quality time mode. We do not take him or our time for granted. Then, our weekends are usually packed full of family together time of fun activities or just vegging out at home being lazy together.

I wouldn't change a thing about our crazy, wonderful life. :)




3 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay for your comments on my blog! I appreciate them. I was exhausted just reading your daily schedule. :) I can't believe you get up at 4:30am to work out...way to go!! I wish I could get myself to do this...maybe one day. I agree with you..in the end the craziness is worth it. I love that my job allows me to do all of the other things that make life (and being a momma) wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tonya!! I can't believe I get up at 4:30 either...lol...but it was either do that or not work out at all...and I was to the point of self disgust with baby weight that hadn't come off as well as lazy weight!! :) It is definitely a lot of pressure on women to rock in their career, rock at home, all the while looking good & being super organized. I've finally realized that is impossible, so I try to make time for the important things and not do the other things. Glad Kelly had this topic! It has been so helpful to read how others handle the day to day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through Kelly! I have a semi-flexible schedule also and find it is the best when it comes to being a working Mom!

    ReplyDelete