Thursday, January 21, 2010

Moms are Super Heroes...

After getting into a little scuttle with my hubby about my forgetful nature, it occurred to me that men just DO NOT understand what it is like to be a woman, and especially a mom. Now, this is not "new" news...there's been books published about this very thing, like Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and I'm sure hundreds more, but it just made me realize how he doesn't understand that I forget things because my brain is in overload mode. I'm constantly taking care of everyone else.

I read someone's blog the other day that summed it up nicely. When asked what super power she could have if she could be a super hero, one mom answered, "I AM a super hero! I grow babies and make milk!!" AMEN, SISTER!

So this just made me think about how so much, well really, ALL of the time I do not think about myself. My child and husband are constantly on the forefront of my brain.

"Did I pack enough diapers? Did I throw the wipe box in his bag? Oh NO! I forgot the gas medicine! Did I pack a toy? Is he dressed warm enough? Do I need to bring his bumbo? " These, along with thousands more, are some of the thoughts that go through my head, and it is not even 7 a.m. yet! So I'm thinking of someone else from the time I wake up, until the time I get in bed when my mind starts going again with, "Does Owen know how much we love him? Did I sing to him today? Did I read enough to him today? Am I doing everything I should be doing regarding his deveolpment and well-being? Am I showing my hubby enough attention? Am I doing a good job letting him know how much he's appreciated?" And then, at that moment, I stop.

And I pray.

I ask God for wisdom and guidance and peace. And then, my brain turns off and I can drift off to sleep. Isn't that wonderful?

I'm so grateful to have a relationship with God. I'm so thankful for a Heavenly Father that is rooting for me and not peering down His nose at me tallying my mistakes. I'm thankful that when I feel like I can't possibly go on, His strength makes me a super hero.

Phil. 4:13: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Yes we can. And that, my friends, is super. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment